Brainiac Solutions

stacks_image_219

There is a strong sense of entrepreneurial spirit on the west coast. Especially in Oregon, where risks are taken in the hopes of succeeding with nontraditional concepts. An Oregon native, Michael Morrow found this rebellious spirit by creating his own cool and eclectic brand: Nutcase Helmets.

After working at Nike for nearly a decade, Morrow wanted to make something of his own that involved networking, finance questions and global distribution, and that was still relevant to Oregonians’ outdoor lifestyle. What set this in motion was a silly helmet Morrow created and designed for a Civil War football game between the Beavers and the Ducks, which provoked enthusiastic reactions from onlookers. Thus, in 2005 a funky helmet company was born.

In a strategy similar to that of fellow Oregon brand VooDoo Doughnuts, Nutcase took something ordinary and made it vibrant. Nutcase Helmets looked different than other helmets. The purpose was the same—protect your brain—but Morrow’s company gave consumers the opportunity to stay safe and “project their personalities” while doing so.

Fueled by a boisterous independence, Oregon brands excel in breaking the mold. Nutcase beautifully showcases this unconstrained approach to products, branding and character, which will serve to inspire future generations of Oregonian entrepreneurs.

liebe@uoregon.edu

I am Erin Liebe and I am currently a sophomore at the University of Oregon studying advertising and anthropology. I work for the Oregon Accessible Education Center as a computer-based note taker. I also am co-captain for the Women's Club Lacrosse team. During my free time I love to hike and my goal for this year is to climb Mt. Whitney!