Embrace Your Oregonality

19.BMSkaterChickkk

Please click here for the full project

Inspired by our research on Oregon brand identity, our team decided to build a model based on Oregon brand values and practices. We broke this down into 5 words: Sustainable, Weird, Independent, Rebellious and Local—which formed the playful acronym “SWIRL.”

Sustainable: Environmentally aware
Weird: Unafraid to transcend the superficial
Independent: A strong, recognizable identity
Rebellious: Consciously rejects industry standards in the pursuit of something different or better, and therefore willing to take risks.
Local: Cultivates a sense of community, and/or actively engages with others in the community

SWIRL is about responsibility to the Oregon community, building respect with consumers and a dedication to pushing the boundaries of creativity.

We chose to rebrand Benchmade because it was a successful, nationally recognized brand that did not have a strong tie to its Oregon roots. However, we hope that this model can make it easier for every brand to embrace their Oregonality, to whatever extent that may be.

chuckins@uoregon.edu

I am a theater buff turned journalism junkie from Northeast Portland. I got my first camera when I was seven. It was blue and had no settings but I absolutely adored it; I kept it in a little purple purse, which I took everywhere. From homemade Barbie movies to amateur horror films, I have been immersed in visual creativity for most of my life. My first love was books, and I am forever indebted to those tomes for my sense of adventure, imagination and appreciation for good writing. My parents were impressed by the fact that I always seemed to find novels featuring female heroines; they didn't realize how many were out there. I have been told that I am a social butterfly, but perhaps because of this I truly value the silence. I love the stress and the busyness, but only because it makes the silence that much sweeter. I am working to cultivate my skills in UO's School of Journalism. I have experience with photography, writing and social strategy, and I am proficient with design software including Photoshop, Indesign, Illustrator, After Effects and Final Cut Pro.